Sunday, June 27, 2010

Busy week

My sermon today at TLBC was on "Christ and the 8th Commandment". The sermon outline can be seen here. We had another busy week. We had a wonderful graduation party for my granddaughter Riley. We must prepare for our trip to Idaho this week and the Bible Conference there in Naples. It should be good. I attended the funeral of Wilbur Headly this week. He was the gentleman that interviewed me for my job at Pierce Transit back in 1981. The slide show was very touching. I also attended a campaign kickoff meeting in Gig Harbor for Jesse Young who is running against Norm Dix in the WA. State 6th Congressional District.

I think the campaign kick off went well. I met Jesse at the Tacoma 912 project meeting. Here is what I've learned about Jesse so far. He was raised by his Mom in the days that the Crips and the Bloods were trying to take control of Tacoma. His mother refused to take a welfare handout and instilled in Jesse a strong work ethic. There were real hard times for them when Jesse was growing up. He lived in both the (Crip) Hilltop and (Blood) Salishan areas and at times was homeless but graduated valedictorian from Wilson High School and earned a scholarship that gained him entry to Notre Dame for College.

His College Degree was in Business and Economics and he has worked in the real world in the Information Technology and Health Care sectors and is not a career politician. He and his wife have four children and another one on the way. I see him as a moral conservative, a fiscal conservative and a National Defense conservative. His opponent is an entrenched sleep at the wheel career "good ole boy" that is on his way out hopefully this year but Jesse is going to need help from regular people like you and me. We may not be able to give much but we ought to be willing to give what we can in time, money and effort to seize the day. Jesse was born the year that Norm entered Congress and he may not be able to out SPEND Norm Dix in the campaign or in Congress but I'm convinced he will out WORK him. For more information click here.

***

An elderly woman died last month. Having never married, she requested no male pallbearers. In her handwritten instructions for her memorial service, she wrote, "They wouldn't take me out while I was alive, I don't want them to take me out when I'm dead."

No comments: