Friday, March 06, 2015

Response from Cantwell






 
Dear Mr. Killion,
Thank you for contacting me about firearm ammunition.
I appreciate hearing from you on this issue.


As you may know, the Gun Control Act of 1968 (P.L. 90-618)
prohibits the import, manufacture, and distribution of ammunition
capable of penetrating protective armor, for the purpose of
protecting law enforcement officers from harm. However, the law
exempts certain types of ammunition that are "primarily intended
for sporting purposes." On February 13, 2015, the Bureau of
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) issued
guidelines for how it will determine whether certain types of
ammunition meet the sporting exception under this law. The ATF
is accepting public comments through March 16, 2015 before
finalizing the proposal.
 
To comment on these guidelines, I invite you to e-mail  
APAComments@atf.gov. 
It is a fundamental goal for me as your Senator to work to uphold the rights guaranteed by our Constitution.
Further, I know that recreational use and collection of guns for hunting, sport, and other activities is
extremely important to you and many other law-abiding Washingtonians. As your Senator, you can be
assured that I will work to protect the legitimate rights of law-abiding American gun-owners, while
continuing to support responsible gun control legislation to reduce crime and make our communities safer.
I believe both of these goals are important and can be simultaneously accomplished through common-sense
gun laws and stricter enforcement of existing laws.
Thank you again for contacting me to share your thoughts on this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact
me in the future if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Maria Cantwell
United States Senator


No comments: